Moscow: Museum of Fine Arts named after Emperor Alexander III (Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts), 1914-1915. Publisher's illustrated wrappers. Item #552
Book measures: 23.5 x 16.5 cm.  pages. Text in Russian. A copy showing mild signs of use and a water stain on its rear wrapper.
A catalog of the solo exhibition of Anna Golubkina. In the winter of 1914–1915, the Museum of Fine Arts named after Emperor Alexander III hosted Golubkina's exhibition "For the benefit of the wounded". This event marked the first major sculpture exhibition in Russia and the inaugural exhibition of the museum on Volkhonka. Golubkina played a direct role in its creation. The exhibition had a charitable purpose, with proceeds from ticket sales, postcards, and casts donated to support wounded soldiers through the Moscow Stock Exchange Committee and the Museum's infirmary. It was lauded as a non-violent triumph of the Russian spirit during challenging times. People in the art world hailed Golubkina's work at the exhibition as a pivotal element of modern Russian culture. The exhibition garnered widespread attention, with advertisements on trams and extended museum hours until a directive from the capital mandated its closure.
For Golubkina, this exhibition culminated 25 years of artistic endeavor. She expressed relief at the prospect of her works being known and preserved, freeing her from fears of their obscurity. Born on January 28, 1864, in Zaraysk, Golubkina studied at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture under Professor Sergei Ivanov since 1891. Her early achievements were recognized during her first participation in the School's 16th exhibition. Continuing her studies at the Imperial Academy of Arts with Professor Vladimir Beklemishev, she first visited Paris in 1895, studying at Filippo Colarossi's academy. Her second Parisian stay (1897-1899) included time in Auguste Rodin's studio, and she was inspired by Egyptian art in Parisian museums. Golubkina corresponded with Rodin, sharing her challenges with conventional art criticism and finding affirmation in his support. Her 1899 participation in the Paris Salon earned her a bronze medal from the Provence Academy of Arts and Letters. She showcased "Fog," a pioneering work of Russian Symbolism in sculpture, at the Moscow Society of Art Lovers' 19th exhibition. Golubkina's interactions with notable figures like Valentin Serov and Sergei Diaghilev furthered her career. Despite not realizing her "Fire" sculpture for a planned fireplace setting, her art continued to gain recognition. She received a commission for a bas-relief for the Moscow Public Art Theater in 1902 and her "Marya" sculpture was acquired by the Tretyakov Gallery in 1906. She presented "Caryatids" at the Moscow Association's 17th exhibition in 1911. Post-revolution, Golubkina was active in Moscow's sculptural community, teaching at the Second State Free Workshops and Vkhutemas. Her final participation in Paris's Autumn Salon was in 1921. Anna Golubkina passed away on September 7, 1927, and was laid to rest in Zaraysk, her birthplace.