1920s. [Dvigubsky, Serge Grigorievich, 1897-1986]. Good condition. Item #249
A group of twenty-one lithographs. Text in Russian, English, French, and German. Dimensions vary from approx 9 x 14 to 10 x 15 cm. While images are the size of a traditional postcard printed on thin paper, some have no dedicated spaces for stamps or messages on the back. No publisher or other information is available.
These caricatures were intended to dehumanize the Jewish people and expose an alleged Judeo-Masonic/Communist conspiracy for world domination. Many striking anti-semitic and anti-soviet elements appear in these caricatures, i.e., "Lev Trotsky's Coat of Arms." Two stereotyped Jews sit between a Star of David marked with "the Talmud" and below a Soviet hammer and sickle, suggesting that Soviet communism and the Jewish faith are the same. By linking these images to Leon Trotsky, the artist connects anti-Semitic ideas to the Bolshevik project and its most famous revolutionary. Another example is the Anti-semitic illustration of a violent vulture with a human head depicting Jewish features and the Star of David on its head. It is flying above a pile of dead bodies, with Russian Orthodox church onion-tops in the background. The inscription on the front reads "Above Communist Heaven."
Dvigubsky, Serge Grigorievich (1897 (Kiev) - 1986 (Menton, Alps) - artist, officer, and cadet leader. In 1917, he graduated from the Suvorov Cadet Corps in Warsaw. Junker of the Elisavetgrad Cavalry School. Before evacuation from Crimea, he served in the First Cavalry Regiment of General Alekseev and participated in the first Kuban campaign. He designed a sign for the regiment. During the war, he met his future wife, Maria Yakovlevna Dvigubskaya - Sister of Mercy, Knight of St. George, and later a member of the French Resistance.
He was evacuated with the White Army units to Gallipoli (Turkey), and then in the fall of 1925, as part of his regiment, he was transferred to Bulgaria. By 1930, he moved to France and settled in Rioupéroux. He was the secretary of the local department of the Union of Gallipoli. He was engaged in drawing and photography. He performed portraits and caricatures. Compiled a program of local celebrations on the occasion of the centenary of the death of A.S. Pushkin (1937). From 1942-1967, he published the magazine "Cadet Voice from the Provinces" in Rioupéroux (36 issues were published); simultaneously, he was its editor and printer. He wrote his memoirs, published in a brochure with calligraphic text, printed on a glass recorder (50 copies).
In 1949, in Paris at the 6th Salon, Péchiney won the first prize in the drawing category. Designed the cover for the anniversary collection "Markovites in the Battles and Campaigns for Russia" (Paris, 1962). Member of the Children's Association. The author of the monument project to the public figure and writer Colonel B. D. Prikhodkin (Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois cemetery). Gave funds for its production. In recent years, he lived in the Russian House in Menton. He was buried at the local cemetery.