Hamburg-Pinneberg: [The Baltic University in Exile], 1947. Paper folder. Very good. Item #87
24 leaves (51 pages) of mimeographed text to rectos and versos, loose in unlabeled paper folder. Large octavo (21 x 29.5 cm). Text in Lithuanian. Several illustrations throughout. Stamp "Ex libris Qir. V. Lisauskai" to the first and last leaves. Light wear to folder. Else very good.
A mimeographed compilation of architecture articles written by several professors of The Baltic University in Exile to educate refugees from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania in the aftermath of the Second World War. The University was established at Hamburg in the British Zone of Occupation in March 1946, with aid from UNRRA, the Lutheran World Federation, and other groups. In early 1947, it was moved to a former Luftwaffe barracks in Pinneberg (Eggerstedt-Kaserne) and renamed the Displaced Person's Study Centre. Because many of the staff and students had found homes in other countries, the University was closed in September 1949. In 1947 it was written that "The Baltic DP university with about 170 professors on the teaching staff and 1,200 students in eight faculties and 13 subdivisions has been running for three semester.
Scarce, no copies found in OCLC and KVK.